Hospitality Volunteer Job Description
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Greet and welcome patients and visitors as they arrive off of the elevators and direct them to the correct appointment location.
- Identify and escort new patients on their first visit if they are not accompanied by a Navigator Volunteer. Explain where restrooms and vending machines are located and include information on the check-in process and parking validation. Ask if they received their new patient information packet and bring it to them if they have not received it.
- Check with patients who have waited longer than 20 minutes for their appointment. Ask a receptionist what the expected wait time is and communicate this with patients.
- Seek out patients who are by themselves to provide conversation and assistance.
- Assist patients who are by themselves in wheelchairs.
- Inform and direct patients to resources available to them, such as the Barnard Health and Cancer Information Center, social workers, nutritionists, the clinical financial specialist, etc.
- Provide assistance in physician office suites when there is a high volume of patients waiting to checkin. Direct patients to verify their demographic and insurance information, help them complete their health history form when needed, return their insurance cards when left at the reception desk, help locate patients for their appointment and offer drinks or snacks to those who have experienced a long wait time.
- Provide comfort rounds in treatment areas by offering conversation, hand massages, drinks, snacks or warm blankets.
- Clean and refill coffee machines.
- Pick up lunches from the cafeteria for patients.
- Drop off or pick up prescriptions from the pharmacy for patients.
- Help refill stock items in the treatment area.
- Take medical charts from the officesuites to the treatment area.
- Restock information cart daily by obtaining material from the Barnard Health and Cancer Information Center.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the waiting area by wiping down chairs and throwing away used cups and papers. Put magazines and newspapers in the correct location.
- Retain two wheelchairs at all times at the hospitality desk.
- Attach forms to fee tickets during slower times.
- Assist staff as needed to help patients.
- Work to exceed patients’ and caregivers’ expectations.