Calendar of Events
YWBCP Annual Symposium - "Making Connections: Empowering Ourselves and Others with Friendship and Knowledge"
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel, 7730 Bonhomme Ave., St. Louis, MO 63105
Join us for our annual symposium for young women with breast cancer. Meet other young survivors or reconnect with friends, and learn from our wonderful presenters and consultants. RSVP by Sept. 5 at 314-747-7156.
Survivorship Exercise Group
7 p.m. Thursdays
8001 Dale Ave.
Richmond Heights, MO 63117
YWBCP is partnering with the Heights community center to offer a weekly exercise program for all young adults with cancer. The class is held each week on Thursdays. Joy Jones, a certified personal trainer leads the program. Registration is required. Register at 314-747-7156 or firstname.lastname@example.org. An increasing amount of data demonstrates the benefits of regular activity and exercise among people diagnosed with cancer. Maintaining a regular exercise routine is tough. This group will provide you with instruction and support to return to or start exercising on a regular basis.
Siteman Cancer Center - multiple events listed. For information about other Siteman programs, visit www.siteman.wustl.edu/newcalendar.aspx.
- Arts + Healthcare at Siteman Cancer Center - Creative Writing Program with writer and educator, Elizabeth Vega, Thursdays, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, September 4 - December 11. Free of charge. Register at 314-362-7844 or in the Barnard Health & Cancer Info. Center in the Center for Advanced Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, STL 63110.
- Arts + Healthcare at Siteman Cancer Center - Creative Art Class with Maria Ojascastro, Tuesdays, 10:00 am - noon, September 9 - October 14. Free of charge. Register at 314-362-7844 or in the Barnard Health & Cancer Info. Center in the Center for Advanced Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, STL 63110.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and Cancer Recovery (MBCR) Program - 8 week session, starts Tues., Sept. 16, 10 - 11:30 am. Free of charge. Register at 314-747-5587or in the Barnard Health & Cancer Info. Center in the Center for Advanced Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, STL 63110. Mention "MBCR" class.
Cancer Support Community - multiple events listed. All require RSVP at 314-238-2000 or www.cancersupportstl.org.
- Monthly Networking Group for Families - 1st Tuesdays, 6 - 8 pm.
- Family Yoga - 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 6:30 - 7:30 pm.
- Cancer Transitions - Thursdays, Oct. 20 - Nov. 24, 6:30 - 8 pm. Must attend informational meeting, Oct. 13, 6:15 - 7:15 pm.
St. Louis Ovarian Cancer Awareness (SLOCA) - multiple events listed. For more information, visit www.sloca.org.
- Steps to Ovarian Cancer Survivorship - Sat. Sept. 6, 8:30 am - 2:15 pm. Joint event with Cancer Support Community. Held at The HEIGHTS, 8001 Dale Ave., STL 63117.
- Families Run for Ovarian Cancer Annual ROC STAR 5K - Sun., Sept. 21, Soldier's Memorial, 1315 Chestnut St., STL. Race starts at 8:30 am. Register at www.familiesroc.com.
- Rise 'n' Shine for SLOCA - Sun., Sept. 28, 9 am - noon, World's Fair Pavilion in Forest Park. Yoga fundraiser to benefit SLOCA.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society "Light the Night 2014" - Sat., Sept. 27, Central Fields - Forest Park. Check-in at 5 pm, walk starts at 7:30 pm. Register at www.lightthenight.org/gat or 314-590-2265.
American Cancer Society - multiple events listed.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk - Oct. 25, 8 am registration, 9:30 walk, Forest Park - Lower Muny Parking Lot. Register at www.MakingStridesWalk.org/StLouisMO. One of our members, Jodi Browell, has been chosen as a 2014 Portrait of Hope spokesperson and will be featured in the 2014 walk campaign. If you'd like to walk with Jodi or support her team, go to the "J Walker's" Page: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=62717&pg=team&team_id=1650785.
- "STAND UP TO CANCER" Cardinals vs. Brewers Watch Party - Sept. 5, St. Louis Ballpark Village. Activities start at 5 pm, game at 7:15 pm. Event is free, but VIP tickets available at www.standup2finishthefight.org.
- ACS Day at the Ballpark - Sunday, Sept. 14, 1:15 pm. Cost $20, includes ticket, pre-game activities, hot dog and drink. Order tickets at www.stlcardinalsrfl.org.
Sista Strut - Saturday, October 4, Soldiers' Memorial, 13th Street and Chestnut, STL, 8 am rally, 10 am walk. The goal of Sista Strut is to heighten awareness about breast cancer in women of color and provide information on community resources. Register at www.kmjm.com/articles/sista-strut-428376/sista-strut-registration-10177283
St. Louis Breast Cancer Coalition, "Breast Cancer Deadline 2020" - Thursday, Nov. 13, 7 pm. Fran Visco, President, National Breast Cancer Coalition, is the keynote speaker. For more information or for tickets, visit www.slbcc.org or 314-989-1111.