1896
Tornado destroys City Hospital in St Louis; emergency quarters are established in the House of the Good Shepherd. Cancer patients are turned away.
1905

St. Louis Skin and Cancer Hospital founded in the old Tuholske Hospital at 410 N. Jefferson to provide free cancer care to the poor.

1908
George D. Barnard, wealthy St. Louis businessman, donates $130,000 for a new building.
1910
The new 44-bed building is erected and renamed "Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital" located at 3427 Washington Ave.
1915
Barnard dies and leaves the hospital much of his $2 million estate. In 1932, his widow dies and leaves $1 million in trust for the hospital.
1923
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology (MIR) is established with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation and the family of Edward Mallinckrodt, Sr and housed in partnership with Washington University School of Medicine (WUSM).
1927
Radiology is endowed by the General Education Board and is established as a full-time department at WUSM.
1933
Evarts Graham, MD, Bixby Professor of Surgery and head of the Department of Surgery performs the successful pneumonectomy for lung cancer at Barnes Hospital.
1937
The National Cancer Act is passed, promoting government participation in cancer research and education and leading to the creation of The National Cancer Institute (NCI).
1940
E.V. Cowdry, MD, arrives at Barnard to serve as director of research.

Construction of first cyclotron devoted to medical and biological research begins under a grant to MIR from the Rockefeller Foundation. The cyclotron, which is
completed in 1941, first uses radioactive phosphorus for treating patients with leukemia and iron for doing tracer research.
1946
The first carbon-14 isotopes are released by the War Department for research to Barnard and MIR, where they are used in cancer studies.
1948
Cowdry transfers all basic cancer research to WUSM.

A cobalt 60 unit for higher energy radiation therapy installed at MIR.
1950
Evarts Graham, MD, and medical student Ernst Wynder publish a landmark study in Journal of the American Medical Association which reports that nearly all victims of lung cancer have been long-time heavy cigarette smokers.

The Cancer Research Building at WUSM is completed. The Finkelnburg-Wernse Laboratory of Cancer Research, under the direction of E.V. Cowdry, MD, will occupy the top three floors of the building.
1951
Michel Ter-Pogossian, PhD, William Bernard, MD, and Henry Schwartz, MD, report the use of I-di-iodo-fluorescein for brain tumor detection.
1952
Barnard officially affiliates with WUSM. It shifts from an independently organized free cancer hospital to a university-affiliated, research-oriented teaching hospital.
1954
Barnard's new building at Washington University Medical Center is dedicated.
1956
WUSM becomes one of the early members of the NCI-sponsored SCSG through the leadership of Virgil Loeb, Jr., MD.
Next

Back to top

1957 - 19891990 - 1996
1997 - 20012002 - 2005