Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I live outside the St. Louis area. Is housing provided by the summer program?

A: A stipend is provided to participants for living expenses (including housing) during the summer. This program usually works with the Washington University School of Medicine housing office to arrange for housing in a dormitory on the medical school campus, where most projects are conducted, for out-of-town participants. The housing office offers summer term rates as space allows.


Q: I am a college freshman and have no/limited research experience. Are students like me accepted into the program? 

A: The summer program accepts students with diverse backgrounds and experience. There is no set number of accepted participants of any specific class year or preparation.


Q: I am an international student. Am I eligible to apply?

A: As a non-U.S. citizen, you are eligible to apply for our program if:

  • You are on an F-1 visa (student visa) through Washington University
  • You are are doing your optional practical training (OPT) on an F-1 visa through another university
  • You are a permanent U.S. resident. 

The summer trainee program does not qualify for an H-1B visa, J-1 visa or TN visa.


Q: I am wondering if high school letters of recommendations are accepted if a student has completed one semester of college and does not know the professors well?

A: It is most important that those writing recommendations be able to speak to your abilities, training, experience and performance. If your high school instructors are the ones most able to make these assessments, then you may use these recommendations. All other things being equal, college recommendations would be preferred, but the most important aspect is how much the person writing the letter can judge your past and future performance.