Director: J. Philip Miller
Web page: www.biostat.wustl.edu/scc/
The Biostatistics Core assists in the planning, conduct and analysis of research with the goal of enhancing the scientific quality of cancer-related research at Washington University Medical Center. Specific aims include:
- Providing biostatistical and methodological review of all protocols submitted to the PRMC for full review.
- Providing consultation during the design phase of protocols, including the selection of the appropriate study design, primary endpoints, sample size and statistical model.
- Collaborating in the analysis of data collected for cancer-related protocols conducted by Siteman members. The protocols range from analysis of large-scale outcomes research protocols to clinical trials to basic science data.
- Consulting on the appropriate use of statistical models for cancer-related studies conducted by Siteman members.
- Providing statistical and methodological review of all proposals submitted for Siteman internal funding programs.
- Providing statistical consultation to other Siteman cores with respect to their missions. Important links exist for the Center for Biomedical Informatics; Health Behavior, Communication and Outreach Core; Clinical Trials Core; Multiplexed Gene Analysis Core; Small Animal Imaging Core; and Hereditary Cancer Core.
- Providing informatics services in manipulation and merging of existing electronic data sets.
- Providing data entry systems to support the conduct of protocols requested by Siteman investigators.
- Providing access to the Barnes-Jewish Hospital cancer registry (maintained by Oncology Data Services) by means of a web-based interface for summary reports.
- Providing e-mail and other office automation resources to the Siteman administrative unit.
- Providing e-mail list services to facilitate communication among members of Siteman programs and focus groups.
Kenneth Schechtman, PhD, associate professor of biostatistics, PRMC statistician
Feng Gao, PhD, research assistant professor of biostatistics, PRMC statistician
Jack Baty, MS, senior statistical data analyst
Jingqin "Rosy" Luo, PhD, research instructor of biostatistics
Jingxia "Esther" Liu, PhD, research instructor of biostatistics
Ling Chen, PhD, research instructor of biostatistics
Kathryn Trinkaus, PhD, research statistician
LOCATION: 3349 Barnard, Barnes-Jewish Hospital-South
TO ACCESS: For more information visit our webpage at www.biostat.wustl.edu/scc/, or contact Kathryn Trinkaus (314-362-3686, firstname.lastname@example.org), or J. Philip Miller (314-362-3617, email@example.com)
As of April 7, 2008, the NIH requires investigators with a publication using Siteman (or other NIH-funded) shared resources to submit (or have submitted for them) their final, peer reviewed manuscripts to PubMed Central (PMC) upon acceptance of publication, to be made publicly available within 12 months of publication. Many journals automatically submit these for authors, but Washington University also has assistance available through the Becker Medical Library. Please see http://publicaccess.nih.gov/FAQ.htm#b7 or http://becker.wustl.edu/classes-consulting/specialized-expertise/nih-public-access-policy for more information.
PUBLICATION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: If research supported by the Biostatistics Core results in publication, please acknowledge this support by including the following in your publication(s):
We thank the Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center at Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Mo., for the use of the Biostatistics Core, which provided __________ service. The Siteman Cancer Center is supported in part by an NCI Cancer Center Support Grant #P30 CA91842.