Share Print

Tornado destroys City Hospital in St Louis; emergency quarters are established in the House of the Good Shepherd. Cancer patients are turned away.

St. Louis Skin and Cancer Hospital founded in the old Tuholske Hospital at 410 N. Jefferson Ave. to provide free cancer care to the poor.

George D. Barnard, wealthy St. Louis businessman, donates $130,000 for a new building.
The new 44-bed building is erected and renamed Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital. The hospital is located at 3427 Washington Ave.
Barnard dies and leaves the hospital much of his $2 million estate. In 1932, his widow dies and leaves $1 million in trust for the hospital.
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology (MIR) is established with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation and the family of Edward Mallinckrodt Sr. The Institute is housed in partnership with Washington University School of Medicine.
Radiology is endowed by the General Education Board and is established as a full-time department at Washington University.
Evarts A. Graham, MD, Bixby Professor of Surgery and head of the Department of Surgery, performs the first successful pneumonectomy for lung cancer at Barnes Hospital.
The National Cancer Act is passed, promoting government participation in cancer research and education and leading to the creation of The National Cancer Institute.
E.V. Cowdry, MD, arrives at Barnard to serve as director of research.

Construction of first cyclotron devoted to medical and biological research begins under a grant to MIR from the Rockefeller Foundation. The cyclotron, which is
completed in 1941, first uses radioactive phosphorus for treating patients with leukemia and iron for doing tracer research.
The first carbon-14 isotopes are released by the U.S. War Department for research to Barnard and MIR, where they are used in cancer studies.
Cowdry transfers all basic cancer research to Washington University.

A cobalt 60 unit for higher energy radiation therapy is installed at MIR.
Evarts A. Graham, MD, and medical student Ernst Wynder publish a landmark study in the Journal of the American Medical Association that reports nearly all victims of lung cancer have been long-time heavy cigarette smokers.

The Cancer Research Building at Washington University School of Medicine is completed. The Finkelnburg-Wernse Laboratory of Cancer Research, under the direction of E.V. Cowdry, MD, will occupy the top three floors of the building.
Michel Ter-Pogossian, PhD, William Bernard, MD, and Henry G. Schwartz, MD, report the use of I-di-iodo-fluorescein for brain tumor detection.
Barnard officially affiliates with Washington University School of Medicine. It shifts from an independently organized free cancer hospital to a university-affiliated, research-oriented teaching hospital.
Barnard's new building at Washington University Medical Center is dedicated.
Washington University School of Medicine becomes one of the early members of the NCI-sponsored SCSG through the leadership of Virgil Loeb Jr., MD.

Back to top

1957 - 1989 1990 - 1996
1997 - 2001 2002 - 2005