Navigator Volunteer Job Description
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Greet new patients at the first- or third-floor information desk and escort them throughout the length of their visit.
- Make the center less intimidating by creating a warm and welcoming environment.
- Offer and provide a short tour introducing patients and family members to helpful resources.
- Provide patients and family members with information about Siteman and Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
- Provide appropriate emotional support and comfort while waiting for appointments.
- Anticipate the needs of patients and family members and strive to exceed their expectations.
- Respond to questions regarding cancer information resources and support services. Give appropriate referrals.
- Develop an understanding and maintain a working knowledge of the services available at Siteman, other organizations that provide cancer information/support, testing locations, physician offices, check-in processes and parking.
- Refer individuals to the appropriate staff when they discuss specific medical, financial or personal issues.
- Provide information about the St. Louis area, including restaurants, grocery stores, shopping areas, bus routes, shuttle services and recreational activities.
- Assist with wheelchair transportation when needed or asked by staff.
- Assist with errands or projects when there are no navigations.