Young Women's Breast Cancer Research Program
We Need Your Help for a Young Women’s Breast Cancer Research Study
Women who were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer at 40 years of age or younger are invited to participate in a research study. The goal of the study is to identify genetic factors that distinguish breast cancer in young women. Women who have had clinical genetic testing may participate, regardless of the results.
Research Update - Identification of novel genetic factors that contribute to risk for breast cancer
Watch a Video That Describes This Research Project
Identification of Novel Genetic Risk Factors that Contribute to the Risk for Breast Cancer
All women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer at 40 years of age or younger are eligible to participate. The age at diagnosis – not your current age – is used to determine eligibility.
You Will Be Asked to:
- Sign a consent form
- Submit a sample of blood (obtained by your physician at a follow-up appointment)
- Release a copy of your cancer-related records
- Allow us to contact you about your family history
If your parents or sisters are living, we would like to invite them to participate as controls, regardless of whether they have been diagnosed with cancer.
Your Parents or Sisters Will Be Asked to:
- Sign a consent form
- Submit a sample of blood and release any cancer-related records
Important Information About the Study
- You do not have to live in St. Louis to participate. Young women, their parents and sisters from all 50 states have participated.
- You may still participate even if your parents or sisters are unable or choose not to participate.
- There is no cost to you or your parents or sisters to participate. We pay for any phlebotomy (blood draw) charges and provide all of the prepaid shipping materials.
- All study-related materials are kept strictly confidential.
The research study is completely voluntary. Your medical team will not alter your medical care or follow-up based on your decision to participate.
Want to Participate?
If you want to participate, we need you to provide the following information:
- Age at diagnosis
- Mailing address
- Home phone number
- E-mail address
- Date of birth
We will mail you a study kit with all the supplies needed for your participation. The next time you have an appointment, your doctor may draw your blood and ship it to us using the blood tubes and prepaid Federal Express material we provide.
Contact Jennifer Ivanovich if you have any questions about our study.
Paul Goodfellow, PhD, principal investigator
Jennifer Ivanovich, MS, co-investigator
Jennifer Staed, MAT, young survivor advocate