Book Cart Volunteer Job Description
Hours: Four-hour shifts available day or evening
- Fills book cart with books, activities, crafts and other supplies from the volunteer storage area.
- Uses wipes to disinfect items before placement on cart.
- Takes book cart to all oncology inpatient floors and stops by each room to offer recreational reading material and other items.
- Use proper hand hygiene by foaming in and out of every room entered.
- Periodically wipe entire cart down.
- Discard items that have water stains or are dusty.
- Direct patients to return items to the designated return area if they choose to return the items. Patients in isolation rooms are not allowed to return their items.
- Do not roll cart into patient’s rooms. Discuss either what items are available or invite patient to visit book cart.
- Talk with patients about support services available and hand out various information when requested.