Share Print

1966
Carlos Perez, MD, initiates a program for the training of radiation therapy technologists. This program, the first of its kind in the United States, becomes nationally recognized for its standard of excellence.

Joseph Ogura, MD, receives endowed professorship established by St. Louisan Arthur Lindburg. Ogura is nationally known for developing new speech-conserving surgical techniques in patients with laryngeal cancer.
1969
A three-story addition to Barnard is completed.
1971 http://www.siteman.wustl.edu/images/timeline2_graphics/timeline2_r06_c3.gif
The National Cancer Act of 1971 authorizes the NCI to support a network of cancer centers that will be national leaders in cancer treatment, research and education.
1972
A prototype linear accelerator (the Clinac 35) is developed by Varian Associates Inc. following specifications of MIR clinicians and physicists and with grant support from the NCI. This prototype sets the stage for modern high-energy, megavoltage radiation therapy machines. A pioneering team of physical chemists, chemists and physicians led by Michel Ter-Pogossian, PhD, develop positron-emission tomography (PET), which is later used in cancer research.

Geoffrey Herzig, MD, founds the adult bone marrow transplant program at Barnes Hospital, one of the earliest programs of its type in the country.
1974
MIR becomes a partner of London-based EMI Ltd in developing CT scanning. One of EMI's first two prototype CT units capable of imaging the entire body is installed at MIR the next year.
1977
Under the leadership of Carlos Perez, MD, director of the Radiation Oncology Center, the Cancer Information Center opens. The first of its kind in the United States, it becomes a model for other centers, serving 877 patients in its first year alone.
1981
The Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery and the Division of Radiation Oncology, using equipment donated by the Jewish Hospital, begin developing techniques for using definitive radiation therapy to treat invasive rectal cancer. This allows curative treatment without the need for radical surgery or a colostomy.
1983
Basic and clinical research begins into the mechanism of action of BCG, an instilled intravesical treatment for superficial bladder cancer, by researchers Gerald Andriole, MD, William Catalona, MD, M'Liss Hudson, MD, and Timothy Ratliff, PhD.
1984
Michael Welch, PhD, and John Katzenellenbogen, PhD, develop fluoroestradiol (FES), a radioactive form of estrogen used as a PET imaging agent.
1985
Barnard Cancer Center establishes an outpatient medical oncology facility.
1986
Virgil Loeb Jr., MD, is elected to a term as national president of the American Cancer Society. Two other Washington University faculty members also have served in this position: E.V. Cowdry, MD, and Wendell Scott, MD.

Thomas Deuel, MD, reports platelet-derived growth factor (pgf) is homologous to the v-sis oncogene, establishing that viral oncogenes can subvert cell growth by acting as ligands for receptor-mediated cell signaling pathways.

MIR creates a mobile mammography unit.
1989
William Catalona, MD, initiates a study that establishes prostate-specific antigen (PSA) can be used as a screening test for prostate cancer. Results are published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1991.

Joanne Mortimer, MD, joins the staff to develop the clinical oncology division, which, together with the BMT division, has 3,900 patient visits in its first year.

Next

Back to top

1896 - 1956 1990 - 1996
1997 - 2001 2002 - 2005